Our Villa is ideal for families with babies and kids. Children are free to play in the park in full safety, being our property in a very nice and quiet area; at the same time, ourselves, the owners, have as well large families and are used to children and we understand what may be the parents’ needs or requests when being on holidays. Here are just some suggestions on nice activities that families may do all together in the surrounding area.
• THE PISTOIA ZOO (45 km far): The Zoo was founded and opened to the public in 1970 by Mr Raffaello Galardini. It is still owned and operated by the founder’s family. The Zoo is located in the hills near the city of Pistoia and covers an area of 75.000 sq mt and houses about 400 animals of 100 different species (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. It is actually focusing its animal collection on endangered species and it has been already successful in breeding rare and threatened species such as Fennec foxes, Caimans and Ring-tailed lemurs. Wonderful are the giraffes, elephants, rhinos and tigers.
• THE JURASSIC PARK ‘GHIRONI’ (located in Peccioli, near Pisa, 50 km far): The history of this Prehistoric Park began in 1977. Two circus performers, no longer young, decided to withdraw from touring and retired in the town of Peccioli near Pisa, where they bought some vineyards. The brothers realized that their land was full of ancient shells, strange footprints, fossilized remains: the concrete signs of an evolution from prehistory to the present was right there. From those discoveries, it came the idea to show these little treasures of the past, together with full-size models of dinosaurs. Over the years, the two brothers have honed their technique to the construction of models and today the park has twenty replicas including a cute and colourful volcano erupting balls and a in full-scale reproduction of an Upper Jurassic Brachiosaurus, the largest dinosaur reconstructed in Europe.
• THE PINOCCHIO PARK in the town of Collodi (70 km far): Inaugurated in 1956, the Pinocchio Park is no an ordinary theme park, but rather a precious masterpiece created by artists. The itinerary follows the most important pages of the Pinocchio book, marked out by mosaics, buildings and sculptures set amidst the greenery, emerges from an inspired combination of art and nature. The path is winding, and the dense vegetation means that every stage on the route comes as an unexpected surprise, with plants and trees contributing to create the atmosphere of the main chapters from the book Adventures of Pinocchio. The Park itself is the site of constantly renewed cultural activities that are always mindful of its roots: depending on the season you may enjoy exhibitions of art and illustrations, puppet-making workshops, puppet and marionette shows and minstrels enlivening the visit to the Park.
• THE CAVRIGLIA ZOOPARK (70 km far). A rich animal treasure that originates, for the most part, from donations made to the park in the 80s. Animals live inside middle size enclosures, which include shelters for night time. In the paths you can meet fallow deer, roe deer, wild boar and llamas living in total freedom. In fencing, there are bison, bears, goats and monkeys, as well as many other species. Picnic lovers can use our barbecues placed in many spots inside the park, respecting the park rules and fire-avoiding laws. To children is also available a donkey-riding centre.
• THE SWORD IN THE STONE AND THE TRAINING CENTER FOR PREYS in San Galgano (80 km far). The Abbey of San Galgano in the town of Chiusdino (Siena) can be reached along the SS 73 road, which cross over the Siena province on the directions to Massa Marittima. The monastery is famous worldwide for his church without a roof, in Gothic style. A few hundred yards up a hill, stands the hermitage of Montesiepi where is kept the ‘Sword in the Stone’ that is said to have been stuck in the stone, around the XI Century , by the Saint Galgano Guidotti when he gave up the comforts of life. The similarities with the stories of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and the quest for the Holy Grail are legends surrounding San Galgano. It is hard to understand which are legends and which are true stories. At 100 meters from the Hermitage is also located the CIR-Italian Centre for Birds of Prey: you can visit the Centre and observe and learn more about birds of prey, many rare ones; in addition, in the CIR, are often held falconry exhibitions and birds of prey flight demonstrations.
• THE CAVALLINO MATTO AMUSEMENT PARK (located in Castagneto Carducci, 110 km far). A colourful world full of joy and serenity, a place where adults and children may enjoy an happy day of games and relax. It’s the Cavallino Matto Amusement & Game Park, the biggest theme park un Tuscany. Completely surrounded by nature, it covers an area of over 76.000 square meters, full of games, rides and shows for the whole family. The park is in a lovely pine forest that runs along the beautiful beaches of Marina di Castagneto on the Tyrrhenian coast, an enchanting place, ruled by only nature and quietness.